Having an efficient home is beneficial in terms of saving money and enjoying a comfortable home. Our building designers have selected the best tips to make your home more efficient and help you understand the possibilities you have when designing an energy efficient house.
- Insulation: whether you are renovating or building, ensure your home is well insulated. ⇒ CLICK HERE ⇐ to contact our energy assessors to discuss on the best options you have to insulate your ceilings, roofs and walls.
- Ventilation: the airflow is important to allow fresh air to circulate throughout the spaces. It can be resolved with openings (doors and windows) but also spacious volumes (e.g. high ceilings, wide passages, etc.)
- Make the good choices: to save money and don’t end up having to pay an indecent electricity bill, go for ceiling fans instead of air conditioners! Fans are way cheaper then air conditioners.
- Lighting: lighting can make up to 20% of your electricity bills, so try to use as much as possible energy efficient soft white or LED bulbs. Read also Changes to your lighting, means changes to your bills! for more information.
- Exposure: prioritise northern sunlight and minimise eastern and western solar access. You can also use shade structures to control the solar gain.